Thursday, December 30, 2004

Introduction

It dawned on me that I kind of jumped into this new blog without giving much of an introduction.  For those that visit my website and don’t know me, here goes.  For 11+ years I lived in a 1928 condo and all was well. It was cute as a bug.  However, it grew small over the years.  It also was finished.  Everything was original.  There was no restoration to do.  None.  All I could do was repaint every few years.  The neighborhood had also turned “trendy” and I was increasingly unhappy with the snottiness factor.  So, one day I decided to move.

 

I found a 1924 bungalow on the other end of the city.  Oddly, it was the same color and paint combination as my condo.  It still had the original kitchen.  It had oak & maple floors.  It had been pretty much left alone.  But, happily there was still work to be done.  I went to look at the house with my realtor, called my dad to come over immediately (he’s a structural engineer) to give me an assessment.  Before the end of the afternoon an offer was with the seller. Yeah, it was mine!

 

I moved in the end of Oct. that year.  I woke up the first morning upstairs with a terrible sore throat and eyes swollen shut from allergies and asthma.  Icouldn’t move from bed except to call my mom and tell her I was in bad shape.  Turns out the upstairs had not been weatherized in any way.  Thus, the cold.  And two hairy dogs had left their calling card in each and every vent of the gravity heating system, carpet, walls, etc.  Thus, the over-the-top allergy reaction. 

 

My retired mom & dad appeared at my front door with Swiffers, cleaning supplies, 3M window weatherproofing plastic and a HEPA vacuum cleaner and spent the day helping me not regret my decision.  I called my out-of-town allergist and begged him to write me a new prescription for all of the drugs I hadn’t taken in years.  I remember laying in bed that night thinking about the colossal mistake I had made.

 

Then the projects started J  The first project was a thorough vent cleaning (who knew it would be so hard to find someone that would work on a gravity furnace).  I didn’t know whether to be embarrassed, fascinated or disgusted when the cleaning guy gagged a little and then admitted to me that he had never seen vents that dirty (except the time a family had hamsters that got loose).  My next project was the front door (pictures on the website) and my stained floors (story & pictures on the website).

 

Whew, there you have it. Its been two years and the projects continue……

2 comments:

raspberryj said...

Are you male or female.  I presume female.  It's just nice to know which gender I'm reading about.  I just found this site by accident.  I love it.  I love your house, too.  Have you ever seen "Grumpy Old Men?".  Your house reminds me of theirs.

stuccohouse said...

I'm female.  You probably have already discovered the I moved my blog over to www.stuccohouse.blogspot.com.   I'm glad you discovered it....and enjoy it :-)   Hope you keep reading & commenting!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin